About Us

Home About Us News Events Calendar Executive Members Volunteers Services Poppy Campaign Photo Album Forms Contact Us

Our History/History of the Auxiliary

The original charter was awarded in 1928 under the name of Kings County Legion, Branch 20, BESL, with 15 charter members.
Originally, the meetings were held at the old armouries and Hebert J. Cripps was the first President.
With the outbreak of World War II, a temporary home was found at Jeffries Tobacco Shop and Pool Hall on Broad St., upstairs in the old Strand Theatre.
In 1941, the branch moved back to the armouries and in 1947, Branch 20 purchased an army hut from Camp Sussex and moved it to a Queen Street location. The Legion finally had its own quarters and it became known as the "Legion Hut".

At the end of World War II, and the return of many veterans, membership increased rapidly and the need for larger quarters became apparent.

See other photos past and present in our archives,
Also, at this time, branch members realized that the town was in dire need of a new rink and decided that both problems could be solved at once - by purchasing and moving two drill halls from Camp Sussex to a new location not far from the legion hut.  These new quarters were opened in 1949 and this building was known as the Kings County Stadium and continued to be Branch headquarters until 1970.

In the late sixties, it was obvious to the membership that new quarters were required.  After alot of hard work and commitment by the dedicated members of Branch #20 our present building was ready for the New Year's dance in 1970, and the first branch meeting in 1971.

In 1972, increased membership and activities made the necessity of an expansion obvious.  The present building has served us well with no major repairs or maintenance until the general overall was done in 1995. It included a new roof, siding, insulation, new heating and air conditioning, as well as, many other improvements.

Branch #20 continues to be an active part of the community due solely to the dedication and hard work of its members, auxiliary, and volunteers.
The Ladies Auxiliary has been a very important part of Branch #20 since they received their charter in 1933.  These ladies have always worked for and supported the branch in all of its endeavors.

                                                To Top

History of the Auxiliary

The first organizational meeting of the Ladies Auxiliary Sussex Branch #20, was held on Nov. 11, 1932 with nine members attending.

By February 1933, the group had almost doubled its membership by adding eight new members. Shortly after the Second World War had ended, the Auxiliary grew dramatically, with a list of new members joining almost monthly for the next several years.









The Auxiliary has helped out the Branch in various ways over the years. They have looked after several veterans and hopefully, will continue to do so in the future. 


To Top

Royal Canadian Legion
Sussex Branch #20
66 Magnolia Avenue
Sussex, NB  E4E 2H2

Home About Us News Events Calendar Executive Members Volunteers Services Poppy Campaign Photo Album Forms Contact Us

Previous Next

Related Links  NB Command | Prov. Command | RCL Site | Veteran Affairs | Collections Canada | Medal Services